purple.light

the organised chaos

Looks


Listens

Train

Portishead

Radiohead

Virgin Radio

Norah Jones

Leona Naess

Music From The O.C


Reads

UU

Yenew

Ah Ren

Brownie

Pzinker

Xiaoming

Joicie Woicie

Lester's Blog

Portrait of a girl

Lefire @ Xanga

Monoceros Weblogs

The Rude Popartgirl

Ashley's Orange Box

Felicia's Pandora Box

The Redhead Wore Crimson


Ramblings

August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004

Site Feed

Monday, November 10, 2003


Are Singaporeans an unforgiving lot? 

This afternoon I finally dragged my wearied body to visit the good 'ol doc (and thereby getting a shock as I saw a whole tribe of Indians but that's another story).

At the traffic junction, I waited together with a middle-aged mother and her two small children, who looked like they were not more than ten years of age. As we stood there, I overheard the irate mother rebuking her son, "You forgot to put the 's' in 90 cents and your teacher took one mark away from you. It's not half a mark but one full mark, okay. That's 39 out of 40. One full mark for forgetting the 's' in 90 cents."

As the son tried to defend himself by saying he forgot and will remember it for all his life, the mother cut him off and repeated the same mantra, "You forgot the 's' in 90 cents and your teacher deducted one mark from you. One full mark, you know, not even half a mark. That's why you have 39 out of 40. It was one full mark, not half a mark."

Thankfully, for me, the traffic lights turned and I tried to walk away as quickly as possible. But behind me, I could still hear her verbal tirade, expressing annoyance at her son's carelessness at forgetting the 's' in 90 cents.

For God's sake, it was just a small mistake, need the mother run down her son so badly? That poor boy had gotten 39 out of 40, which is a really good grade. Wasn't it enough to just tell him he ought not to be so careless in future and teach him why you need the 's' in 90 centS?

And now we know why this society is so unforgiving of mistakes. As Confucius believes, everything starts with the building block called family. If within the family, such abhorrent attitude exists, it is of no surprise that this attitude extends beyond the parameters of the family and reaches to the society. If we cannot even forgive such minute mistakes, how can the individual grow to be creative? How will the individual dare to be different and learn that the tried and tested route might not be the best way after all? Will the individual learn from past mistakes and go on to cultivate more innovative ideas if every little error he makes is slapped into his face at every opportunity?

I find such parents narrow-sighted and pathetic. A Picasso or Shakespeare might be stifled because of such rigid and unforgiving attitude.

Oh yeah, back to my story - I had a shock when I reached the clinic, thinking that I had to wait forever to get to my turn because of the tribe. Thankfully, the whole clan was there only for one person - a toddler. I didn't have to wait very long after all.

yAnn at 11/10/2003 11:38:00 PM

"Compared with me, a tree is immortal;

And a flowerhead not tall, but more startling

And I want one's longevity and the other's daring."

-- Sylvia Plath's "I am Vertical"