purple.light

the organised chaos

Looks


Listens

Train

Portishead

Radiohead

Virgin Radio

Norah Jones

Leona Naess

Music From The O.C


Reads

UU

Yenew

Ah Ren

Brownie

Pzinker

Xiaoming

Joicie Woicie

Lester's Blog

Portrait of a girl

Lefire @ Xanga

Monoceros Weblogs

The Rude Popartgirl

Ashley's Orange Box

Felicia's Pandora Box

The Redhead Wore Crimson


Ramblings

August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004

Site Feed

Wednesday, October 29, 2003


Lessons from (pseudo) NY 

So here I am, sitting at my computer at 1am in the morning when I have to go to work tomorrow. I could have gone off to bed earlier on but I just had to catch up on one of my favourite shows in the whole world - Sex and the City.

Despite its racy name and even racier reputation, this is one show that is not just about sex, sex and sex. And oh yeah, did I mention the men and the troubled relationships? But seriously, there are lessons to be learnt from this show and it's not the 1001 sex positions flyer that Samantha bought for a dollar fifty from a man selling it on a corner street.

The first episode of the fourth season (I think I never did finish season three, things just got in the way) was about Carrie, Sarah Jessica Parker's character, celebrating her 35th birthday. It struck a chord in me because I was just sitting there and thinking, if I am a single in Singapore at the grand old age of 35, would I have a bunch of girlfriends to celebrate it with me and tell me that they are my soulmates and hence succeeding in an area where no man has ever accomplished?

And speaking of soulmates, is there really someone out there for everyone? If you have loved someone before but it didn't work out, does it mean that he was not the one and therefore the one (this is starting to sound like The Matrix) is still out there in the world? Does it really work that way?

And if my mother were to die one day (I don't even want to think about it), would my friends come for the funeral and stand by my side, holding my hand without my asking them to? Would they come rescue me when I have a crick in my neck and absolutely cannot move my body? Would they come over to my place with milk and oreos in the dead of the night to help me exorcise my ghosts?

Can we ever forgive and forget? And if we cannot forget, is it ever possible to simply forgive and then move on and start afresh? Or will we end up punishing the other person subconsciously?

Would I ever find someone who would try to help me save my Mac if it dies on me suddenly and then buy me a new iBook and a zip drive to back up my data? Even if he uses a PC and only knows how to use ControlAltDelete? Would he be able to love my friends and help them the way I would?

Suddenly, these are issues that are not just reel and fictitious but things which seem so real and so reality-like.

And then I wonder - would I be able to stand up and walk again after falling flat on my face in front of hundreds of people, the way Carrie did?

I guess I already have.

yAnn at 10/29/2003 12:56:00 AM

"Compared with me, a tree is immortal;

And a flowerhead not tall, but more startling

And I want one's longevity and the other's daring."

-- Sylvia Plath's "I am Vertical"